The Nameless Boy

The Nameless Boy

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chapter Two

He was wearing a blue shirt, and old ripped blue jeans. He looked as if he had been working in a field all day, his short, blond hair and tanned face was caked with dirt. "I’m sorry," I said, "I didn’t know anybody lived here." After it was clear he wasn’t going to reply I added, "I got lost last night and needed a place to sleep but-" "I don’t live here," he said cutting me off. His voice was a little deep, you could hear a light southern accent in it, and he sounded kind of sad when he spoke. "I used to, not anymore.""Sorry but I really don’t understand what you mean, where’s the rest of your family or your friends?" I was confused, if he didn’t live here then why was he here? Why did he have to come to the one place I found shelter at."You know if you’re really that hungry you should catch a fish," he replied, ignoring my questions."What?" This boy was starting to scare me a little, what was he supposed to be? A mind reader?"There’s stuff to catch them in that room," he said pointing towards one of the other rooms. "Come on, I’ll show you."A couple minutes later I found myself outside by the lake, standing next to the mysterious boy who was going to ‘show me how to survive’ as he put it. He had grabbed two of the pointed sticks and the old torn net from the small ‘kitchen’ and told me that was all I ever needed to catch food. He handed me one of the sticks and waited, I gave him a puzzled expression."Stab at the fish with it," he said, still sounding a bit sad.I didn’t feel like arguing with him so i tried to catch a fish, but every time the fish darted out of the way at the last second. "Watch," he laughed and stabbed towards the water. When he pulled the stick out there was a fish on the end."How did you do that?!" "It’s easy, it just takes concentration," he tried to show me countless times, it took me about an hour to catch my first one, I was gleaming at it like it was a 1st place trophy. After that he showed me how to make a fire and cook over it. It took me hours to learn everything, but he was as patient as ever with me, every time I messed up or tried to give up he would just laugh and say try again. Though I didn’t want to admit it, he was nicer to me then most of my friends back home.When it was finally dark, we took the net and newly sharpened spears in to the house. "I gotta get goin," he said, sounding a little happier then earlier. "Oh, what are you doing tomorrow?" Even though I just met him today I really didn’t want him to leave, it felt as if I’d known him all my life. "Same thing I was doing yesterday-until I ran into you," he said looking down, the sorrow returning to his voice. "And what would that be?" "Nothing, don’t worry about it," he faked a smile, his bright blue eyes seemed to twinkle in the light of the moon coming in through the window. "Okay, well do you want to maybe hang out after your done doing whatever?" I asked, I wanted to see him again, he was nice and fun to be around. He seemed to have to think about it for a minute, finally he agreed though. "Meet me at the lake tomorrow around 9." Before I could ask him how in the world was I supposed to know when 9 was he was heading out the door

No comments:

Post a Comment