The Nameless Boy

The Nameless Boy

Friday, September 17, 2010

Chapter Six

Even though I knew he wouldn’t be there, I checked every morning to see if anybody was outside standing by the now frozen lake. My life was totally boring without him to talk to or explore the forest with, even if it was winter. I was scared I’d get lost again if I tried to look for people, and there wasn’t anything at all to do in this old lake house. All I could do was skip rocks on the lake and feel sorry for myself, wanting to go home more and more each day.
It had now been about a week since I talked to the nameless boy, and I couldn’t take being by myself all the time. Instead of looking for him though, I packed some food and headed down the old dirt road again, towards what I hoped was a town. An hour after I’d left the lake house it started snowing, all i had to keep me away from the cold was a thin jacket, I kept trying to tell myself that I’d soon be at a town filled with warm food and people but after awhile the happiness started to wear off.
That night I took shelter under a pine tree that half blocked the snow that was still coming down a little heavier now. When I woke up I ate some of the fruit I had saved from the cold-and some snow since that was the only water I had- and started walking again. The snow was still falling and the piles were about knee-high.

It went on like this for another two days, the snow acted as if it would never stop, but was starting to lighten up a little bit. It finally quit on the third night but I was running out of food and still hadn’t found any sign of civilization. When I woke up the next morning the snow had stopped completely and I was out of food. I sighed and started off on my journey again, a couple hours later I came across footprints in the road-it was then I realized I had been walking in a circle. Not knowing what else to do I sat down in the snow and cried, scared I would die out here in the cold all alone.

Suddenly a voice-calm and soothing- said “Come with me, you’re not far from the town.” My eyes got wide when I heard the familiar voice, turning around I jumped up and hugged the nameless boy. He returned the smile and took my hand, ready to show me the town.

“I’m sorry about the way I acted, it’s just my friends are always trying to mess with me back home and-”

He laughed, “it’s okay. If I were you I would have done the same thing, how many times do you meet a ghost?”

I smiled again, thankful someone had found me, but more thankful that I could see him again. We walked down the road-the sun finally turned on the heat- as the snow melted and finally reached the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment